Thursday, August 16, 2012

Very Cute Kids

I could get into some hot water with this post, but there is one thing we have to set straight: your kids are cute... mine are cuter.  No need to feel offended!  I heard a suh-weet Ted Talk that illustrated this phenomenon. It's called "survival of the fittest."  Let me explain: I passed my genes onto these little people.  They are the final result of my gene test, the physical manifestation of my DNA--of course I'm going to think mine are better than yours.  Especially because, well... they are.

Part of the fun of having kids in an interracial marriage is thinking about how your kids will turn out--kind of like those flip-book games where you can choose a head and give it a different body and crazy legs.  (Clown face + Fireman body + Chicken legs = Funny)  Yuni and I would often talk about how our children would turn out.  Would they have Yuni's exotic brown eyes or would they be blue like mine?  Would they have lighter or darker skin?  Would they look more like me or her?  Of course, all marriages have these questions, but it was fun to throw so many variables into the mix.  Kind of like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" novel except it's your kid... and you can't really choose how they come out.  (Ok, bad example.  But "Whatever the Gods Decide" novels aren't quite as appealing to the venturesome young reader.)

Well, now we have two beautiful children--a girl and a boy--and I'm proud to say they are a beautiful mix of us both.  I call my daughter "ojos de chocolate" (chocolate eyes) because she has these deep, dark brown peepers that melt my heart.  Her hair is right in between Yuni's and my hair color (Yuni = dark brown, almost black; Ryan = bald... but it used to be blonde).  She has light brown hair with blonde, red, and dark highlights.  (It looks really cool when you see her in the sun.)  Her skin color is a nice "tan" color--lighter than her mommy but a few shades darker than her daddy.  She got her mommy's beauty and her daddy's buff legs.  She's a nice mixture of both her parents.  (I'm already considering building a mote around our home to keep all the "would be" suitors away in about twenty years or so.)

Yunuen always said she'd like to have a little boy who looked like a Mexican version of me.  Wish granted.  Our son is often referred to as "Ryan's clone" or "Ryan 2.0, the Latino model."  He has a striking similarity to his daddy, which makes me proud.  His skin is darker than his sister's, but his hair is lighter, leaning more towards red than dirty blonde.  He has the same rich, chocolatey eyes of his sister and mother but has his daddy's "butt" chin.  (I know, flattering.  That's how somebody referred to the cleft in my chin one time.  The term stinks, but I can live with it.  Hey-OH!)  He's very stout, meaning buff, and has these little shoulders that scream "I'm a future linebacker!"  

The funny thing is Yunuen and I always focused on what our children's physical attributes would be, but we now see there are other things they've inherited from us both.  For example, if either of my children hear music--any music with a good beat, but especially genres like salsa, merengue, cumbia--their little heads and hips start to wobble like a room full of Weebles.  (Those crazy Weebles!  They wobble, but they don't fall down!)  Our daughter showed us her swinging hips even before she could walk.  (Yunuen has a great video of her dancing to La Bamba.  I'll see if we can get it posted on here.)  Our son, who is just learning how to stand, bobs his head and weaves his arms.  Is there any doubt that they've been imbued with ritmo latino?

Of course, all parents love their kids and have fun seeing what parts of themselves surface in their little offspring.  It isn't something that only happens in interracial marriages.  So, all of you out there in the blogosphere, feel free to share your thoughts about your kids, what part of you showed up in your son or daughter.  Leave a comment.  Share it!  Just realize... your children aren't as cute as mine.  ;)

22 comments:

  1. As a friend of yours I would like to congraulate you and your wife on having such a wonderful little family.
    I too have family in interracial marriages, so I see where you come from.
    But, interracial couples sometimes seem to have been joined togeather and have had children solely for their own personal purpose of being different and out of the norm. Is there the same agenda out there for parents who adopt children of other ethnicities? I will let you all decide.
    The question is did you go out of your way to be in this relationship for self gradification?
    Or did you only adopt because the child was ethnically different?
    I am sure you don't fall into this category, but if you are reading this(anyone) and you do, shame on you!
    I agree as a proud parent that my kids will always be cuter than yours, but be a little less arrogant, a little more sensative, and realise others might not see where you are coming from.
    We all are God's children, and there should be no barriers keeping different races apart, but we should not toot our horn to loud or judge ourselves higher because we belong to an interracial marriage.

    Con Amor, Tu Amigo simpre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the congratulations. Being a husband and father is truly the best thing that has ever happened to me.

      Thanks for coming back! I was hoping you would post what you had written before and I was a little annoyed that it got deleted without me being able to read it. I think you bring up some very valid points and I'd like to answer your questions, if I may.

      As far as my kids go, I love them very, very much. And I do think they are very cute. The "my kids are cuter" lines are mostly tongue in cheek. I knew I might ruffle some feathers, but it was mostly to take unfair advantage of the fact that I was writing the blog. A little "unrighteous dominion" and unfair advantage, if you know what I mean. It does come off as arrogant, but it isn't meant that way. If you ever told me your kids are the cutest in the world, I would smile and realize you are a wonderful father/mother and instantly understand you think the world of your children. But, I totally agree with you: we are ALL God's children. THAT is what truly matters--not color, language, or anything else. In the eternal perspective, cuteness doesn't matter. Winning beauty pageants doesn't matter. How you treat Heavenly Father's children is what matters. We are all His children. Thank you for the reminder. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yunuen created this blog mostly to reach out and connect with others in our situation. I've been having some fun touting how wonderful it is, but it is in no way to alienate anyone outside of an interracial marriage or to revert to the old schoolyard technique of taunting others ("My marriage is better than yoooooours.") No way. Marriage is a beautiful thing, period. There will always be differences in upbringing, world view, even distinct family culture, no matter the couple. In an interracial couple sometimes those differences are more visible, but that doesn't mean others don't go through the same types of struggles or feel the same degree of happiness. Let's face it, marriage and raising kids is hard work. Who better to do it with than your best friend(spouse), right? Who cares what they look like or where they came from?

      To touch on the being different question, I honestly married Yuni because I love her. Had she been born with white or black skin, in the United States or China, I would have fallen in love with her the minute I met her. I love Yuni for Yuni, not for her skin color or nationality. Are there those out there who do it to be different or because they want to be out of the norm? Probably, but in my opinion that isn't love and the relationship probably won't last too long. But who am I to judge?

      The same goes with self-gratification. If you walk into any relationship with that purpose, it's not going to last. Marriage is about giving. That's how I view having children too (including adopting). Having children is about giving--it shouldn't be about upping social status or being "different." It's about love. On the flip side, I imagine there are people out there who would refuse to adopt a baby because of different skin colors. In my opinion, that's not right either.

      I have once example that jumps to mind of a friend who adopted a little girl with her husband. The adoption happened quick, they didn't have a lot of time to prepare. That little girl, however, has become their child--not their "adopted" child. Love breaks boundaries, erases what our physical eyes see and helps us to connect on a deeper, more spiritual level. You said it best: we are all God's children.

      Delete
    3. So, hopefully people reading this don't get the feeling that we think we are better than others because of our interracial marriage. Mostly we want to share our experiences, bring people together, maybe make people laugh with us, cry with us, and hopefully share their feelings like you have done. Interracial, intraracial (is that even a word?), whatever your marriage may be, it's all about ceasing to be two individuals and becoming one--one in family, one in love.

      Gracias por tu amistad. Ojalá supiera cuál de mis amigos eres para abrazarte fuerte la próxima vez que nos vemos. Y aunque pienso que mis hijos son muy lindo, te aseguro que los tuyos han de portarse mejores. ;)

      Con amor.

      Delete
    4. Sorry to offend any if I did...
      My comment was not to attack you Ryan, but to better understand where you were heading with this blog update.
      We need to remember that we(Mormons) are not the only people on here reading this post. Tooting our horns can often offend others who might not quite share our understanding, so just be careful in the future.
      I see a little clearer what the purpose now.
      Thank you for responding.
      Amigos siempre!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this!! Your kids are adorable - and I'm glad we have Some family commonalities, because my kids are pretty darn cute themselves! Instead of the gorgeous chocolate eyes and tan skin, mine look like porcelain dolls! Two got my red hair, one has daddy's dark hair (with a tint of red in the sun. I think his is even darker than Lya's!) Jarem has my hazel-leaning-toward-green eyes, but the girls got Jason's blue eyes. All in all, they are gorgeous children, and a great mix of us both, even if we don't have that fun Latin blood thrown in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kids sure are cute. Lya always blesses Livi in her prayers. Love ya, Geash.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you write! And yes Nic is your version 2.0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jajaja, me hiciste reir mucho, y acordarme de mi pequenito huron y de sobrinita Buzz. Con nosotros la cosa fue muy justa, Felipe es clon de papa, y Esteban de mama. Un abrazo a los chiquitos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me encanta este post, ni siquiera sabiamos que teniais blog. Os seguiremos fielmente.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see an honest opinion post can even get deleted on here too, I guess next time I will not share my opinion Ryan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't even been in to see this blog post until just now. Not sure why your post got deleted, but it wasn't done on my end of things. Post your opinion again, please. I would like to hear what you have to say.

      Delete
    2. If someone is deleting comments, that's not cool. Please, post it again. Or send me an e-mail and I'll post it as a reply. Honestly, I would like to read what you wrote and it sucks I didn't get the opportunity.

      Delete
    3. Hi Anonymus. Yesterday I delete your post, I didn't notice until today. It was on Spam, I'm still learning how to use the blog, like you see we are not experts. So I'm sorry. I posted again.

      Yunuen

      Delete
    4. Yunuen, quierro pedirte perdona por todo de la confusion.
      No es tu culpa.

      Delete
  7. Yep! It was quite fun being pregnant knowing that Brian is physically the exact opposite of me - even in height! Alex is a wonderful mixture of both of us, he looks like Brian but he got my brown eyes, he is pink, and his hair is a light brown with some hints of blonde and reddish...it's wonderful! Oh yes and he gets super excited when he hears Mana! I'm so proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a very cute little guy. Congratulations! The cool thing too is seeing how they shift back and forth as they grow: sometimes he'll look like you, other times like Brian, etc. Enjoy every moment!

      Delete
  8. We need to get our kids together sometime. I like to think of my girls as those white fudge-dipped Oreos: they're definitely güeras on the outside, but cien por ciento latinas on the inside because they have the ritmo latino that both their parents are lacking and pozole is their favorite food ever (it's not a perfect analogy, because I'm still not sure what the creme filling in the middle represents). Maybe some quality hangout time when we're back in town in December?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE! I need some belly-laughs gracias a mi amigo B-Rig. I think it would be awesome to see our kids trucking around together. We will MAKE TIME when you come down in December.

      I'm still working on what the "cream filling" in your metaphor could be. You stumped me!

      Delete